A Touch of Evil

Friday, August 21, 2009

Probability



Once when stepping out of home in the night to buy bread from downstairs, I wondered what would be the odds of me crossing paths with my dad who would be on his way home from work.

This presents an interesting probability puzzle which I have laid out below.

Assume I have to go from A to C and my dad has to go from B to A as per the diagram above. I am equally likely to take the route ADGFC or the route ADEFC. My dad will always take the BGDA route. My dad walks at 100 meters/min while I walk at 125 meters/min. What is the probability of us meeting on the way if my dad is equally likely to start from B anytime between 9.00 pm and 9.30 pm and I am equally likely to start A at any time between 9.10 pm and 9.20 pm?

Treat assured to the first correct answer... :)

6 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home